Understand the art world from all angles through an online immersion in art history, the art market, and the vibrant and enduring art scene of New York City.
Students enrolled in this online Exploration course will survey the fields of art history, art business, and contemporary art, focusing on the complex and dynamic artwork being created in the New York art market today. Guided by expert educators and leaders in the field, our Exploration courses focus on the intersectionality between topics. In this course, students will explore how a variety of art world players come together to make New York City into one of the top art capitals of the world.
A multidisciplinary approach to learning encourages students to sample different fields and employ critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills. Designed and led by industry experts with extensive online teaching experience, the virtual learning environment balances live sessions with different types of interactive activities to engage students in an exploration of their passions and help them prepare for college. The Exploration program is curated to give students a newfound sense of direction for their future studies by shedding light on a diverse selection of subject material.
Virtual site visits may include:
- Behind the scenes at Sotheby’s auction house
- Online viewing rooms of top international galleries, such as David Zwirner and Hauser & Wirth
- Virtual guided tours of New York’s top museums, such as the Metropolitan Museum of Art, The Museum of Modern Art and The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum
- Virtual guided tours of New York’s art neighborhoods, such as Chelsea in Manhattan
- Touring the art studios of world-famous artists based in New York City
Guest speakers may include:
- Auction house experts and world-famous auctioneers
- Online art sales entrepreneurs
- Gallery directors
- Museum curators
- Art writers
Projects may include:
- Creating and naming your own online art museum and choosing from more than one hundred thousand digitized works of art to design and curate an exhibition
- Using a hypothetical budget of five million US dollars, go on a virtual art shopping spree at international galleries, and present the works with research on your favorite artists and their markets
- Investigating the market value of a treasured object from your own home
Tech Fee: $75
Please note: This information is subject to change at any time at the discretion of Sotheby’s Institute of Art.