From the photoshoot to the catwalk, learn about the fascinating history and contemporary relationship between art, luxury, and fashion.
Students enrolled in this online Exploration course will survey both the historical and contemporary relationships between art, luxury, and fashion. Guided by expert educators and leaders in the field, our Explorations courses focus on the intersectionality between topics in a dynamic virtual environment that balances a variety of expert-led live sessions with self-guided modules. This course will cover historical movements from the Bauhaus and Surrealism, as well as postmodern examples such as Pop, Punk, Club Culture and Hip Hop. Students will learn about recent collaborations between celebrity artists and famous labels, such as Stephen Sprouse and Takashi Murakami for Louis Vuitton; KAWS and Kim Jones at Dior Hommes; and Sterling Ruby for Calvin Klein and Raf Simons. Students will learn what defines concepts such as sub or counter culture, as well as luxury and what role both may play in these collaborations. The virtual classroom allows students to explore extraordinary fashion collections and museums worldwide with scholarly guidance from their faculty. In addition to these guided sessions, students will engage in self-paced activities, including designing their own fashion collections, as well as an exercise in branding in which they will critically examine the omnipresence of logos in our society (and in their closets).
A multidisciplinary approach to learning encourages students to sample different fields and employ critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills. Designed and led by industry experts with extensive online teaching experience, the virtual learning environment balances live sessions with different types of interactive activities to engage students in an exploration of their passions and help them prepare for college. The Exploration program is curated to give students a newfound sense of direction for their future studies by shedding light on a diverse selection of subject material.
Virtual site visits may include:
- The Anna Wintour Costume Center at The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York
- The Museum of the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York
- The Victoria & Albert Museum in London
- Musée Christian Dior in Paris
- Fashion ateliers of established international designers
- Luxury brand stores worldwide
Guest speakers may include:
- Fashion designers and stylists
- Fashion critics and commentators
- Fashion photographers and image makers
- Brand consultants
Projects may include:
- Analyzing the power of branding and logos with the guidance of an artist
- Writing fashion reviews of upcoming Fall/Winter preview collections
- Creating a short digital fashion film for your luxury brand of choice
- Designing a fashion collection based on the work of an artist or an art historical theme from the past
Tech Fee: $75
Please note: This information is subject to change at any time at the discretion of Sotheby’s Institute of Art.