Learn fundamental painting and drawing techniques and practice new or refine existing skills in an exciting online studio environment designed to inspire creativity and teach you—as both a beginning or an intermediate artist—how to express yourself through artistic practices.
Students enrolled in this online Studio course will balance a variety of expert-led live sessions with self-guided practice to build and further develop artistic skills in an exciting and dynamic virtual setting. Taught by practicing contemporary artists and with guest appearances by leaders in the contemporary art world, this Studio course provides all levels of students with the guidance, techniques, and support to encourage them to develop their own creative vision. In this course, students will learn and refine basic drawing techniques through a hands-on, multifaceted approach that motivates them to learn new skills and methods as well as deepen their knowledge of visual communication.
This program is geared towards students eager to discover their passions, try something new and prepare for college. From hands-on studio sessions to virtual site visits, with online activities led by expert practitioners, the Studio program is curated to give students a newfound sense of direction for their future studies.
Students will be provided with a list of materials they should purchase before the start of the course.
Virtual site visits may include:
- The drawing collection of The Metropolitan Museum of Art
- Interactive virtual exhibitions at the Tate Modern in London
- Online viewing rooms of top international galleries, such as David Zwirner and
- Artists’ studios
Guest speakers may include:
- Contemporary art gallerists
- Contemporary art curators
Projects may include:
- Learning a variety of drawing techniques practiced under self-guided studio time catered to the level of the student, followed by individualized feedback given by the instructor on the student’s work
- Keeping a sketchbook diary to experiment with different media and techniques
- Creating an expressive self-portrait series using a variety of media to understand the importance of a narrative arc within a body of work
- Creating an animated GIF using drawings students have made in class
Tech Fee: $75
Please note: This information is subject to change at any time at the discretion of Sotheby’s Institute of Art.